This is our 3rd year hanging flower baskets in the downtown area and they are looking great! It has been a real partnership between the village and volunteers to get the flowers to be the spectacular show they are today. Some are getting as big as 3 feet from top to bottom!
Flower basket as it appears this weekend. I wonder how big it will get?!
Earlier in the season, the baskets were hung and were looking quite nice. Unfortunately, we had an uncharacteristically hot and dry Memorial Day weekend and our weekday watering routine didn’t cut it. We almost lost most of the baskets that weekend. Thanks to some quick action by Denny Polito (DDA member and owner of Antiques, Collectibles and Upcycled Treasures, the shop below Swan Creek), the flowers were saved. With a small budget from the DDA, he volunteered to get a portable watering system together and to water the flowers every Saturday and Sunday morning. The DPW waters the flowers each day throughout the week.
We have been getting so many compliments about these flowers and hope you are enjoying them too! People always want to know where we get them. Here it is Koraleski Flower Center.
Flower basket when it was new – as a point of comparison.
We would love to expand our coverage of flower baskets – over the bridge, along the river, around the triangle, etc… But we’ll need help to do that. We have learned that these flowers need water every day to make it through the long hot summer. As we begin planning for next year’s flower purchases, we’ll be reaching out to our residents. We would like to create a flower program for the downtown and get more volunteers involved in keeping our downtown colorful throughout the summer!
Business owners and community members hard at work at our downtown meeting earlier this week. On the agenda: farmers market progress, creating a team to plan and carry out the upcoming car show, our BEAUTIFUL flower baskets, new downtown Christmas decorations, and the next steps in bringing the Main Street program to Dundee. Busy meeting!!
Working hard at a recent downtown meeting.
Pictured (left to right):
- Beth LaPensee (DDA chair, resident)
- Marcella Osenbaugh-Valle (DDA member, business owner)
- Lisa Haver Wain (business owner)
- Jamie Crozier (DDA member, business employee)
- Lyle Jaworski (DDA vice-chair, business owner)
- Mima Kubiske (DDA secretary, business owner)
- Mary Schultz (DDA member)
- Denny Polity (DDA member, business owner)
- Jessica Hubbell (farmers market manager, resident)
Not pictured but also present last night:
- Nancy Pilbeam (farmers market vendor)
- Ann Marie McCollough (resident)
And finally, usually present but absent that night:
- Terry Potts (DDA member, resident)
- Dave Uhl (DDA member, village manager)
Have you seen us on Instagram yet? Follow us and share your own photos of Dundee by tagging @downtown_dundee and #heartofdundee
Not an Instagram user? Don’t worry, you don’t have to have an account or the app to look at our photos. Just go here: https://www.instagram.com/downtown_dundee/
As I’m sure you are aware, we made some significant changes to the Dundee Farmer’s Market this year. As with any major change, there will be a period of adjustment but we are really quite happy with how the new market is shaping up.
As a reminder, the farmers market is held every Sunday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm right downtown in the triangle.
Here are some details:
- We are averaging about 12 vendors per week. One week we were up to 18 vendors!
- Each week there are 200-300 shoppers.
- More shoppers visit the business side than the bandstand side so be sure to check out both sides when you come!
- 1:00-2:00 tends to be the busiest time.
- We are seeing lots of families and people walking to the market
- Many people come for the market and also visit downtown businesses or vice versa.
The biggest challenge for the market so far has been the weather! Such a cool spring and dry summer meant that the veggies didn’t come in as early as usual. But they are in now!
Market vendors and shoppers have enjoyed many different special events and activities, including donut day, pie baking competition, Hike it Baby demonstration, live musicians, and more. Upcoming events include:
Be sure to stop by any Sunday to see what is going on. There is always something new!